Monday 22 August 2016

Robert Brumby - Artist

I recently travelled to Spain to visit my Grandpas Finca near to the town of Rojales. Although this long weekend in Spain was a holiday we also went out there for another reason; my grandpa is an artist whose work I have always greatly admired and I decided I wanted to start showcasing his work for more people to see. I am currently in the process of making him a website but I also intend to make a book, or possibly a series of books to be printed to show a full selection of his work. I have asked my cousin Charlotte Brumby to work with me for this (she has a talent for writing which I lack) and we conducted a few interviews with him while we are there and we are starting to compile a selection of his work as well as write a bit about his life, his path as an artist and his process of work. In his house near Rojales he has a small gallery that has a collection of some of his previous work as well as some of his more recent sculptural pieces. We had a lovely time in spain, enjoying the sun and exploring the surrounding area but also finding out more about our grandpa and his work. I am really excited about this project and I am looking forward to seeing how it develops over the coming months!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Rachael,
    Really interesting reading about your Grandad. I was lucky enough to be a student on the wonderful Foundation course at York School of Art 1973-74 - my happiest ever year of education - and Bob would often take the life drawing class, a great teacher in a school of amazingly talented characters.
    I hope he is well and enjoying life in Spain.
    Best Wishes,
    Robert Wainman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I knew Bob through the art college and mutual friends. A great bloke and Im so pleased I own a print of his great views of the Sheriff Hutton environs. RACHEL

    ReplyDelete